A “guardian” is someone who is chosen or appointed to make legal decisions for another person who is unable to make those decisions on their own. Guardianship is often over a child or an individual who has become incapacitated through age or disability.

We all need a little help from time to time, some of us more than others.  Thank you for your interest in becoming a guardian for a person who is need of help.  Being a guardian is a big job. It is also a distinctive and very worthwhile opportunity to

make a significant difference in another person’s life.  Children and the elderly especially may need help when making big life or legal decisions.  Helping to protect a person from possible abuse, neglect, or exploitation, ensuring that the person receives needed care, medical treatment, and services that will help them maintain dignity and independence in the least restrictive environment possible are some of the rewards of being a guardian.


Types – Adult & Minor


Adult Guardianship: the guardianship of an adult is a legal procedure in which a court determines that a person has severe disabilities that impair the person’s ability to make decisions, that the person is in need of protection, and that there is no less restrictive alternative to guardianship.

Adult guardianship maybe the only way to solve a problem for a person with an intellectual disability or other developmental disabilities but because It’s highly intrusive and contrary to efforts to assist those persons to attain the highest level of functioning and self-esteem, it should be used cautiously, sparingly and only when no less intrusive/restrictive alternatives exist.

Minor Guardianship: Since minors are generally protected and cared for by their parents, a minor’s parents make any and all legal decisions that may be necessary for his or her welfare. However, in some cases a child may need a separate individual to attend to their legal rights, because the minor no longer has a parent qualified to make legal decisions on his or her behalf. In these cases, a guardian can either be chosen voluntarily by the family or appointed by the court.


  • link will take you to the Wyoming AARP website where these forms are provided as a public service of AARP Wyoming, Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) of Laramie County and Casey Family Programs.  If you have any questions about which forms you should complete and file with the district court in the county where you and the child(ren) live, you should consult a lawyer.